Sarabean for The Meadow
interviewer: Sara Sharif (@sarangelic)
interviewee: Sarabean (@sarabbean)
Sarabean (she/her) is a 16-year-old singer-songwriter producer based in Florida. She began producing music earlier this year in 2020. Recently her single “Isabell” inspired by toxic friendships and relationships hit over 10,000 streams on Spotify and is currently planning her new release “Move on” premiering January 1st, 2021. Sarabean has experimented with different feelings in music with her album “Careworn” but is now just finding her sound, leaning towards the indie pop/alternative genre.
Sarabean's ideal 2021 Summer
"...I will most definitely go visit my family and friends in Washington and go see as many shows as I can!"
* in relevance to our issue #3
t h e i n t e r v i e w
1. Please start with a little introduction about yourself!
Of course! I am an independent 16-year-old singer songwriter and producer based in Florida.
2. What is the story behind your musical journey?
I’ve been writing songs since I was very young on the guitar, but in middle school I grew an appreciation for music production. When I got into in high school, that’s when I started blend my passion and new skills in production to make my own music.
3. And how has your journey been so far?
It has been lovely, I never thought that anyone would find my music and have it speak to them like certain artist speak to me.
4. I absolutely loved your latest, “Move on”! Is there a general, and maybe, a more personal theme to
Yes, there is, a majority of my songs have been written about a friendship of mine.
5. What inspired you to create this song and what does it mean to you?
Honestly at first what inspired me was to create a good quality project. Once I felt good about that, the lyrics seemed to pick up where my song Isabell left off. I didn’t notice it at the time, but it did.
6. Do share about the making and BTS of, “Move on”!
I record and write all my songs in my bedroom! But the cover art was drawn by my friend Austin Havis who is a musician as well.
7. Your last album, “Careworn” is simply beautiful! Share more about your experience while creating this album and what you wanted to portray through it.
Throughout the album I knew I wanted to create a beginning middle and end as well as interludes like “people” and “when we met”. Overall, I wanted songs to flow together so the entire album would translate what inspired it, which were actual events in my life.
8. What is your creative process?
I don’t usually have a specific creative prosses, either I write a song or create a project.
9. Who is your musical inspiration?
Danny elf man is a composer I’ve been obsessed with since i was little who created the soundtrack for Tim burton’s movies. Although my music sounds nothing like his, I’ve always been inspired by him wanted to portray music in a whimsical yet darker way with undertones. lately I have been inspired by artists in songwriting like Phoebe Bridgers, and Taylor swift in her album folklore.
10. Any musical tips from your experience for our musicians out here?
To enjoy what you create and have fun. over thinking a track or a small detail in a song will drive you crazy if your anything like me, enjoy yourself!
11. So, what should we expect next, in the near future?
Currently I am working with other musicians, so you will most likely see a collab or two in the near future.
12. How do we gain access to your music?
You can find me on all platforms! (Spotify, apple, YouTube etc.)